1

What is Ramadan ? When is Ramadan ?

This post is for everyone on  that has no idea what Ramadan is. Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar. Every day during this month, Muslims around the world spend the daylight hours in a complete fast. Muslims are called upon to use this month to re-evaluate their lives in light of Islamic guidance. We are to make peace with those who have wronged us, strengthen ties with family and friends, do away with bad habits – essentially to clean up our lives, our thoughts, and our feelings.
It’s not only about not eating or drinking during the day. Please educate yourselves with this post and not ask really ignorant questions to your Muslim friends.
Ramadan is on 18th June, 2015


I fully intend to make the best of this Ramadan. I want to study the Quran on my own terms in peace (if you have favorite translators/translations I’d love recommendations). I want to try and observe praying more frequently. I want to feel more settled in my own self. I want to not give into anxiety attacks and depression that are threatening to overwhelm me because of my joblessness. Life will work out, I know. Inshallah. And maybe this Ramadan will give me more solid answers.  Maybe I’ll follow through on my whim and enroll myself in a religious/Quran class or figure out how to be a Muslim chaplain (or maybe I won’t). At the end of the day, I’ll try my best to make the best out of this Ramadan, regardless of my apprehensions of the approaching month. 

Ramadan kareem to everyone! 

The Islaamic Lunar Calender

There are twelve lunar months in the Islaamic lunar calender (A calender that is based on the cycles of the lunar phase (This is the appearance of the illuminated (sunlit) portion of the Moon as seen by an observer, usually on Earth). The first lunar month is called Muharram and the last lunar month is called Dhul Hijjah.
The month of RamaDaan is the ninth lunar month of the Islaamic calendar and it is Religiously regarded as the best of all the Islaamic lunar months. An Islaamic lunar month is either 29 or 30 days, it is never 31 or 28. The Islaamic lunar calender is used by the Muslims to determine the beginning of the fasting month of RamaDaan, to come to know when the pilgrimage of Hajj will take place, to celebrate Islaamic celebrations such as the birth of Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, the two festivals of ^Eeid which mark the end of fasting the month of RamaDaan, the complete performance of the Hajj (Pilgrimage to Makkah) and other events that are of importance to the Muslims.
Photo Credit :

tumblr.com

Post a Comment

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

 
Top